Wednesday, March 10, 2021

A History of Kindness

 A History of Kindness by Linda Hogan, 142 pages. 

This collection of poems by Linda Hogan is mostly interested in exploring individual and cultural heritage, as well as the interactions both between humans and between humans and the natural world. 

I had previously read and greatly enjoyed Dwellings, an essay collection by this same author, so I was very excited to get my hands on this book! Unfortunately, I found that I don't enjoy Hogan's poetry nearly as much as her prose. I found many of the poems sort of dense and hard to follow, and had a really hard time staying engaged in this collection. 

I believe that people who enjoy poetry that further removed from standard grammar may enjoys this collection more than I did. It seems there were interesting themes threaded through this collection, but I couldn't get through the language enough to appreciate them.

No comments:

Post a Comment