Saturday, September 26, 2020

Four Leonid McGill Novels--The Long Fall, Known to Evil, When the Thrill is Gone, All I Did Was Shoot My Man

The Long Fall by Walter Mosley, 306 pages, Known to Evil by Walter Mosley, 326 pages.

When the Thrill Is Gone by Walter Mosley, 359 pages.

All I Did Was Shoot My Man by Walter Mosley, 326 pages.  

Known to Evil by Walter Mosley, 326 pages

The first in the Leonid McGill series. I read Trouble Is What I Do a couple of months ago and was surprised to find that I had missed out on the other four books in this series (I thought there had only been four in total, but it turns our there are six).
While I read-read the sixth book, it's only 166 pages long, the first four books are longer, but they are all available on Overdrive. Leonid McGill is a private detective who inhabits a slightly off-kilter, 1950s noir world that is located in the modern, cell-phone and computer using New York. It was a bit disconcerting to me for a while, but I really enjoyed the world he made (or maybe described, I dunno). Leonid used to work with fewer moral guardrails, using his skills for the mob, tracking people down for retribution or to frame someone for a crime to get them out of the way. He works on his own now, using an office that he leased under some suspect circumstances and surrounded by a cast of characters who also navigate a murky, not quite amoral landscape. Women find Leonid irresistible and fearless, remorseless killers respect him, and a good part of the NYPD want to put him behind bars.




These four are all very ably narrated by Mirron Willi. He does a great job of inhabiting the characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment