Monday, September 23, 2019

The Soul of a Chef

The Soul of a Chef: The Journey Toward Perfection by Michael Ruhlman  370 pp.

I'm not sure what I was expecting when I started this book but it wasn't what I found. It is interesting but does not contain anything unexpected. The first part of the book is Ruhlman's account of observing the grueling ten day Certified Master Chef exam at the Culinary Institute of America. The second and third parts are profiles of two renowned American chefs, Michael Symon of Lolita, Mabel's BBQ, and B Spot Burgers in Cleveland and other restaurants across the country and Thomas Keller of the famed California restaurant The French Laundry. Ruhlman, who trained as a chef, gives insights to his subjects that another author may have missed. However, the third section seemed to drag. But that may be because Keller is not as dynamic and lively a personality as Symon. Since I travel to Cleveland a couple times a year I hope get the chance to dine at one of Symon's restaurants.

No comments:

Post a Comment