Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Becoming

Becoming / Michelle Obama, 433 pgs.

A remarkable memoir by our former first lady.  Michelle Obama grew up in an 900 sq. foot apartment with her family on Chicago's south side.  She went on to an Ivy League education and was working at a prestigious law firm when her law student mentee, a guy with a weird name, showed up late with a grin on his face.  It took awhile, but they eventually dated and married and went on to become the first African American president and first lady.  As I read this book, all I could think of was how I had always assumed that Michelle and I would be friends if our paths ever crossed.  I think this even more now.  Obama is the first lady we never deserved.  This book is a great read and it makes me happy to remember the class and elegance that used to live in the White House.

No comments:

Post a Comment