Monday, January 9, 2017

The Shining Girls

The Shining Girls by Lauren Beukes, 375 pages

In the middle of Depression-era Chicago, Harper comes across a house that transports him back and forth throughout the 20th Century. While some might use it to see momentous events or make big sports bets pay off, Harper instead uses it to track down and kill "shining girls," young women who are especially bright and talented in their field, and avoid capture by slipping into another era. But one of the girls survives and tries to track him down, slowly catching on to his machinations. It's an interesting twist on your standard serial killer, though I felt like the magical house was somewhat misplaced: nothing else in the world, or even in the house, has any power; indeed the Chicago in which this is set is exactly the same Chicago you or I could go visit tomorrow. There's something awkward and unsettling about that. I'm still not sure what I thought about the book, and I finished it almost a week ago.

1 comment:

  1. Really a nice meter of this post. I read your post. Thanks for share your post with us.

    Foreign Currency Exchange San Francisco

    ReplyDelete