Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Kafka on the shore

Kafka on the shore / Haruki Murakami 436 pgs.

Somewhere I read this book described as a metaphysical mind-blower and that seems like a perfect description.  Like many of Murakami's other books (each, that I've loved), you really don't know what is going to happen and sometimes not even how things relate to the story.  This book largely follows two characters whose stories are related but don't intersect too much.  Kafka is a 15 year old runaway and Nakata is an older guy who isn't very smart following a childhood accident.  Nakata's talent is his ability to talk to cats and so there are many in the book.  Kafka finds refuge in a library. Seemingly this is a book written to appeal to librarians!

As with all of Murakami's books, I feel very happy to read them and I'm also very confident that I'm missing out on tons of hidden meaning and larger lessons.  I still think he is an amazing author.

No comments:

Post a Comment