Friday, December 4, 2015

After Abel: and Other Stories / Michal Lemberger 283 pp.

Biblical stories told from the point of view of women, both the famous and the less well-known: Eve, Lot's wife, Hagar, Moses' sister, and others.  It's not necessary to know the scriptural counterparts to these stories, but familiarity would no doubt add to their richness.  Nicely readable, and I especially like some of the portraits, such as that of Hagar, Ishmael's mother, and Michel, first wife of King David.  Effective if not especially nuanced; we are meant to come away (I think) feeling impacted at the manner in which all these women were subject to the whims of their kings, their husbands, and their God.  A valid point, certainly, but I prefer fiction that allows me to reach my own conclusions without having them handed to me so directly.

No comments:

Post a Comment