Thursday, June 12, 2014

Sand and Foam

Sand and Foam: a book of aphorisms / Kahlil Gibran 85 pgs.

Kahlil Gibran was a Lebanese artist, poet and writer.  This volume was originally published in 1926 and contains short poems and aphorisms that reveal his genius. Take this for example:
     The Sphinx spoke only once, and the Sphinx said, "A grain of sand is a desert, and a desert is a grain of sand; and now let us all be silent again."
     I heard the Sphinx, but I did not understand.

and this:

     If I were to choose between the power of writing a poem and the ecstasy of a poem unwritten, I would choose the ecstasy. It is better poetry.
     Buy you and all my neighbors agree that I always choose badly.

I must admit, I wondered if Mr. Gibran just sat around and these things just dropped into his brain or did he have to work them over and over.
check our catalog

No comments:

Post a Comment