Saturday, June 14, 2014

10% Happier: How I Tamed the Voice in My Head, Reduced Stress without Losing My Edge, and Found Self-Help That Actually Works: a True Story / Dan Harris 237 pp.

A great introduction to the benefits of meditation from the perfect messenger.  Dan Harris, ABC reporter and I think, current Nightline anchor, is about the least touchy-feely kind of guy imaginable.  Ambitious and not especially empathic, he suffers an on-air panic attack and decides he needs to change.  He describes his slow, initially unenthusiastic, introduction to the teachings and practice of meditation with a bright, humorous presentation.  I especially loved that he never claimed to be a 'whole new person' because of meditation.  But he shows clearly how he's improved his life and makes it seem as though the reader could too.  

No comments:

Post a Comment