Monday, March 17, 2014

The Missing File / D.A. Mishani 289 p.

The first in what promises to be a series featuring Detective Avraham Avraham, set in suburban Tel Aviv.  The Missing File is the story of Avraham's search for missing 16-year-old Ofer Sharabi.  And at first it seemed like a straightforward, if unexceptional, genre piece.  Avraham has a so-so personal life, strained relationships with his extended family, and a complicated attraction to a colleague.  And he can't figure out how to move forward with his case.  Such is the stuff of which detective fiction is made.  About 2/3 of the way through, I realized I was hooked into this story, though.  And by the end, I saw that Mishani is vastly more clever than he at first appears.  A bit dry, and the characterization is thin at first, but I think that will change as he keeps writing.  Detective Avraham just might be my new best friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment