Sunday, March 30, 2014

How to wake up

How to wake up: a Buddhist-inspired guide to navigating joy and sorrow by Toni Bernhard 231 pgs.

I read Toni's first book How to be sick when it came out in 2011 and was excited to hear that she had written another.  This one is, perhaps, even more powerful because there is no question that everyone can relate to joy and sorrow in life.  Each chapter is short but provides a solid method with examples to be a better person and lead a fuller more satisfying life.  If any part of it seems too optimistic, the author provides personal examples of where she has failed in the past and how she coped with the failure.  One of my favorites is just deciding that is is OK to fail occasionally.  YES!  Even at our best, we are never perfect and it is ok, give yourself a break and move on.  As always, the lessons here are abundant, helpful and will lead to a better life if practiced.  I'm already looking forward to Bernhard's next book.

check our catalog

2 comments:

  1. Christa,
    I work for Wisdom Publications (the publisher of How to Wake Up), and I was wondering if we could reblog your review on our website (wisdompubs.org/blog).
    Thanks,
    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure! Let me know if you need me to do anything else.

      Delete