Sunday, October 20, 2013

Heart of Darkness

http://i43.tower.com/images/mm100056661/heart-darkness-joseph-conrad-hardcover-cover-art.jpgHeart of Darkness, by Joseph Conrad
110 pages


This is my 3rd time reading this book.  I like it, and perhaps keep coming back to it, because it's one of the few books I've come across that tells a captivating and well written story that doesn't go on-and-on-and-on, which I appreciate because often times my attention wanes on long works.

Marlow is a seaman who contracts with a trading company to pilot a steamboat up a river in the jungles of Africa during Europe's imperialistic foray.  He encounters Kurtz, whose years trading in the jungle, away from all the conventions and establishments of "civilization" have left him untethered from traditional moral pretenses. It's a must read for those who have yet to pick it up.  


No comments:

Post a Comment