Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Bellwether Revivals

Bellwether Revivals by Benjamin Wood, 420 pages

Eden Bellwether is a strange man. He's rich, talented, and more intelligent than can be believed. He's also narcissistic and believes he has the ability to hypnotize and possibly heal people through music. Our protagonist, the blue-collar Oscar, is initially taken with Eden, but as he spends more time around Eden and his "flock" of friends, the less comfortable he becomes and the more sure Oscar is that something bad is going to happen.

Bellwether Revivals reminded me a bit of The Great Gatsby and Atonement in its portrayal of the upper echelon, though the suspenseful buildup of the story would almost place it in the horror genre. I had trouble getting through this one, but I suspect that has more to do with the other things going on in my life than with Wood's writing. I wish I'd read it when I had more time to devote to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment