Sunday, February 14, 2010

Bridge of Birds / Barry Hughart

Bridge of Birds by Barry Hughart. 278 pp.

A novel set in "an ancient China that never was," as the author describes it. Narrated by Number Ten Ox, a teenaged peasant who finds an elderly sage to help figure out what has happened to the children of his village. Ox has a pure heart, but the sage, Li Kao, has a slight flaw in his character. Not only do I love the rich setting and the outrageous adventures, I admire the way that Hughart structures his story. One of my favorite books ever; since I just recommended it for our February staff picks, I decided it was time to read it again. Won the World Fantasy Award in 1984. There are two other books featuring Li Kao and Number Ten Ox, but this one is the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment