Friday, February 17, 2023

Let's Not Do That Again

Let's Not Do That Again by Grant Ginder, 336 pages

Nancy Harrison is a longtime New York Congresswoman running for the Senate, just weeks away from Election Day, when her daughter, Greta, is photographed destroying property during a political demonstration in Paris. Nancy sends her long-suffering son, Nick, to France to retrieve his sister, while she focuses on managing the scandal back home. But as Nancy's campaign team starts to investigate Greta's actions and friends, the situation becomes much more complex.

I love dysfunctional family stories (they make mine seem so normal!), and Ginder has a gift for telling dysfunctional family stories, which should make this a home run for me. For the most part, I loved not knowing how straight-laced Nancy and loose cannon Greta would interact, as well as how mediator Nick would deal with these two stubborn women. But then something happens about 3/4 of the way through the book that took the story past the point of believability and unfortunately, it never came back. I won't spoil it here, as some may have a completely different take than I do, but the ending just didn't work for me. If anyone else reads it though, I'd love to chat about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment