Sunday, February 12, 2023

Heaven is a Place on Earth

 Heaven is a Place on Earth by Adrian Shirk, 352 pages.

It is hard to give this book a fair review, because it is mostly not the books fault that it isn't what I thought it was. I thought this was a book on the history of American utopia movements, which sounded like an interesting topic that I didn't know very much about. What is actually is is a memoir of the author traveling and doing research about utopian movements, and then using them as a framework to look at her own life (which is why she qualifies a Waffle House as a utopia). 

I'm afraid I found this book extremely tedious, and I don't feel like I know much more about utopian movements than when I started (Shirk has a tendency to go "and it went pretty much like all other utopian movements" without really getting into details about what that means), but I feel like if I was a person who liked memoirs more it may have been a better experience. I would definitely only recommend this book if your looking for a memoir of a millennial struggling for a sense of connectedness, and not if you're looking for an informational history text. 


No comments:

Post a Comment