Sunday, February 26, 2023

The Tale of the Tailor and the Three Dead Kings

 The Tale of the Tailor and the Three Dead Kings by Dan Jones, 96 pages.

This short book is an adaptation of a real medieval ghost story that was originally written in Latin at an English monastery. In it Snowball the Tailor is accosted on the road by a spooky ghost that takes various forms and demands that Snowball go and complete the necessary tasks to send the ghost's soul to heaven, which is quite the trial.

I picked this book up because a reading challenge I am participating in wanted me to read a book based on the cover alone, and this book has a cool one. I'm really glad I did. While this isn't necessarily something I would have picked up on my own, it was really interesting. One of the things I found the most interesting, mostly because it's something that is under-represented in depictions of the period, is how truly woven into daily life religion was in the Middle Ages. And also, on a related note, how weird Christianity was during the Middle Ages. I would definitely recommend this one for anyone interested in the period, and also to enjoyers of campfire ghost stories.


No comments:

Post a Comment