Thursday, February 23, 2023

Lost in the Moment and Found

 Lost in the Moment and Found by Seanan McGuire, 161 pages.

Things started going wrong for Antsy after her father died. But they went much more wrong after her mother remarried soon after his death. Her new step-father scares her. She can't quite pin down why, but she knows she doesn't like him, and she really doesn't like being alone with him. Soon something happens that makes Antsy decide she can't stay, so she runs away and ends up in The Shop Where Lost Things Go. The shop is completely magical, and full of magical doors that connect it to a seemingly infinite number of worlds that she can explore and bring things back from. But everything has a price, even if you don't know you are paying it. 

This book is pretty heavy. It's a very personal narrative for the author, and I think you can really feel that throughout. Like many of the standalone books in this series, this one is a tragedy. It is also very, very good. I feel like I have to go and reread Where the Drowned Girls Go now that I know Antsy, and that certainly isn't a hard sell for me. Another excellent addition, I can't wait to see what McGuire does next. 

P.S. It's sort of a pain to track down the song from the epigraph (which the title of the book is taken from) but I would say it's very worthwhile. I ended up buying the song on Bandcamp and I think I've listened to it at least a dozen times since I finished this book.


No comments:

Post a Comment