Saturday, October 31, 2020

William Shakespeare's King Lear

 


William Shakespeare's King Lear: a Graphic Novel
by Gareth Hinds 128 pp.

This graphic novel format of the play King Lear is somewhat difficult to read, not because it is Shakespeare, but because of the flowery lettering used for the dialogue. I have to admit I was underwhelmed at first by the difficult to read text and the artwork but it eventually grew on me. It helped that I had seen two excellent film versions of the play in 2018: The National Theatre Live production with Sir Ian McKellen as Lear and another 2018 production with Sir Anthony Hopkins in the title role. Without that familiarity with the story I believe this version is hard to follow although the notes in the back helps to clear up confusion. Not a bad version but it leaves out much of the play.

No comments:

Post a Comment