Wednesday, October 14, 2020

My Cousin Rachel

 


My Cousin Rachel
by Daphne du Maurier  352 pp.

I first read this book when I was in my twenties and found it disappointing and not even close to the caliber of du Maurier's Rebecca. I decided to revisit it in audiobook form to see if my opinion of it had changed. I can say this time around I found it somewhat better. The author did an excellent job of keeping the reader guessing as to Rachel's motives. However, the behavior of Philip grows tedious. He first believes Rachel to be the cause of his cousin's death, then becomes smitten with her before once again believing she had an evil streak and was trying to kill him. My opinion of this book is better than the first time I read it because I appreciate the author's writing more but I will never reread it again (unlike Rebecca). 

No comments:

Post a Comment