Saturday, October 17, 2020

Earthlings

 

Earthlings / Sayaka Murata, translated by Ginny Tapley Takemori, read by Nancy Wu 256 pgs.

I'm not even sure how to start with this book.  Natsuki lives in a bit of a dream world but she has to because she doesn't fit into the real world. Abused by her mom and a teacher, she is just trying to survive.  Her cousin Yuu is similar in nature, he says he is an alien from Popinpobopia waiting for a spaceship to rescue him.  These two aren't destined for lives that celebrate the social norms.  Sure enough, years later they are adults and still not fitting in.  Natsuki has gained a husband, Yuu is living in their grandma's house in the mountains after losing his job.  Toss in a little incest, murder and canibalism and you really have something.  I listened to the audio which is perfectly done by Nancy Wu but that doesn't make the book any less quirky.  At times I wanted to hate this but I think I ended up loving it.

No comments:

Post a Comment