Thursday, December 28, 2023

Avery Colt is a Snake, a Thief, a Liar

 Avery Colt is a Snake, a Thief, a Liar by Ron A. Austin, 172 pages.

This semi-autobiographical collection of short stories is actually by a local author, and they all take place in North St. Louis. The collection follows young Avery Colt from when he's a kid afraid to kill a possum in his house through his teen years. Most of the stories are about his family, who are often both strict and dysfunctional. 

It is always extremely interesting to read a book set in places I'm very familiar with, so that itself makes this book interesting, especially because it is so deeply rooted in a sense of place. The prose sometimes felt a little bit elaborate, but woven throughout was some very visceral descriptions. I will also say that I had a hard time guessing what the intended age range of the audience was. I am glad I finally got around to reading this interesting collection.


No comments:

Post a Comment