Thursday, June 29, 2023

We Could Be So Good

 We Could Be So Good by Cat Sebastian, 384 pages.

 Nick Russo works as a reporter at one of the biggest newspapers in New York at the end of the 1950s. Andy Flemming is set to inherit said paper, which terrifies him, because he can't keep track of his own keys. So Andy gets assigned to work as a reporter for a year to get a feel for it, and soon enough he and Nick are inseparable. They're best friends, and Nick pushes down the possibility of anything more, because even if Andy feels the same, being outed as gay in 1958 would cost him his job, and probably get him arrested besides. But soon both Andy and Nick have to decide if this growing relationship between them is something worth fighting for.

This is the first book I've read by Cat Sebastian, and I've got to say I'm really impressed. From the very beginning I was sold on the fact that these two characters like each other, and there were a whole lot of reasons why they work romantically. I also appreciated that, due to the plethora of external factors, there didn't have to be a lot of contrived emotional reasons why these two characters, who obviously care deeply about each other, can't be together. I'm always annoyed by (romance novels in particular) where there would be no plot if the characters just talked to each other, and I was pleased that there was very little of that here. Overall a pretty neat historical fiction novel, and I would definitely recommend it to people interested in either the time period or a solid historical romance.

No comments:

Post a Comment