Friday, June 16, 2023

Howl's Moving Castle

Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones (1986) 329 pages

I listened to the audiobook. I have not seen the animated movie yet. There are a handful of elements from The Wizard of Oz, like pieces of a puzzle, that are jumbled and rearranged to make this new fantasy adventure. Later in this story, I could hear in my mind Dorothy being asked, "Are you a good witch or a bad witch?" The main character Sophie is a young woman venturing out to find her fortune when the Witch of the Waste transforms her into an old woman. Sophie's self-image is a normal, everyday woman who is bored of making hats for a career, but it turns out she has magical abilities as well. She'll also find out if the rumors about Wizard Howl eating young girls is true. I should say that this is quite unique. There is no one single quest. The characters are trying to achieve many different things. From scene to scene I had no idea what was coming next. The author avoids many fantasy tropes. From slime, to Wales, to misfired spells, and tricky geography it gets pretty weird, but enjoyable. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment