Monday, March 28, 2022

The Storyteller

The Storyteller: Tales of Life and Music by Dave Grohl, 376 pages

Foo Fighters frontman and former Nirvana drummer Dave Grohl is one of the great rock stars of the last 30 years, and this memoir is a collection of his fantastic stories. Ranging from his accident-prone childhood (and adulthood, because OF COURSE he regales us with his memory of a mid-concert leg-breaking accident that did not stop the show) to his days touring in a cramped van with punk icons Scream to meeting the absolute legends of rock and roll (Paul McCartney, Joan Jett, and John Paul Jones, to name a few), this is an absolutely wonderful collection of tales. As I do with most celebrity memoirs I read, I listened to the audiobook of this one, which Grohl reads himself, bringing that much more depth to these excellent, heartfelt, and unbelievably real stories. I'm not a huge Foo Fighters or Nirvana fan, but man, I could sit and listen to Grohl reel out these stories for ages. Encore!

(A short addendum: I finished listening to this book just hours before news came out that longtime Foo Fighters drummer Taylor Hawkins had died while the band was touring South America. Grohl's love and admiration for Hawkins is spelled out throughout the pages of The Storyteller, and made this celebrity death hit much harder for me than most do. Not that he'll ever read this, but Dave Grohl, I'd give you the biggest hug right now if I could.)

No comments:

Post a Comment