Wednesday, January 26, 2022

Defying Doomsday

 Defying Doomsday edited by Tsana Dolichva and Holly Kench, 432 pages.

This anthology, by mostly Australian authors, is all about disabled and chronically ill protagonists facing the end of the world (or sometimes coping with a world that has already ended). The specific apocalypses run the gamut from disease to aliens (a whole lot of aliens) and the protagonists are just as varied, representing a wide range of human experience.

I found this anthology very alright. Most anthologies have stories that are, in my experience, wildly varying in quality. Normally there are at least two or three authors that impress me enough that I seek out a longer work by them, and a few stories that I find very difficult to get through. This book was filled entirely with stories in between. Many of them had very interesting concepts, but the stories didn't quite come together into something I was impressed by. This was a very good concept with sort of meh execution.


No comments:

Post a Comment