Monday, November 8, 2021

Throne of the Crescent Moon

 Throne of the Crescent Moon by Saladin Ahmed, 367 pages.

Kara just wrote about this book here for Orcs and Aliens! Her synopsis is good so there's not much more to write on that front, so instead here's a blog post with my opinions.

This book wasn't really for me I'm afraid, I found most of the prose to be unusually formal, and it made the story drag for me. It gave the impression of reading a much older book, which is an interesting effect, but I'm not sure I enjoyed it. I also, unfortunately, wasn't really interested in any of the characters, and the plot was a pretty classic formula (except for the fact that at least a third of the book was spent in downtime research, to explain using the roleplaying game parlance that it reminded me of). However! This book was something of an introduction for me to fantasy stories not based in a European tradition, and I'm definitely interested in reading more in the genre.


No comments:

Post a Comment