Monday, July 6, 2020

Cher Ami and Major Whittlesey

Cher Ami and Major Whittlesey by Kathleen Rooney, 336 pages

During World War I, homing pigeons were used by the allied forces to send messages when phone lines and other human constructs simply failed. In the case of a battalion that made it farther behind enemy lines than its neighboring troops, these pigeons were literally a lifesaver. This book tells the story of that "lost battalion" through the eyes of its leader, Major Charles Whittlesey, and Cher Ami, the pigeon that delivered the life-saving message.

I'll have to admit that I wasn't expecting to read a WWI story told as the memories of a taxidermied pigeon when I picked this up, and honestly, I kinda wish I'd known what I was in for. I loved the realistic treatment of Major Whittlesey's reminiscences as a gay man in the war, but when it came to Cher Ami's chapter, I found I had trouble believing her philosophical ruminations on human constructs of war, religion, bigotry, and so many other things. Perhaps if I'd read Rooney's previous novel, Lillian Boxfish Takes a Walk, I'd know what I was getting into. But this one was just too much.

1 comment: