Wednesday, August 14, 2019

The Drunken Botanist

The Drunken Botanist: The Plants That Create the World's Great Drinks by Amy Stewart, 381 pages

In this botanical encyclopedia, Stewart discusses the many plants that are malted, distilled, pressed, fermented, and otherwise manipulated to make the intoxicating alcoholic beverages of the world. In doing so, she offers brief histories of each plant, explains how it's manipulated and imbibed, details where and how the plant grows (with tips on how to grow your own, if you so choose), and provides cocktail recipes.

While it probably isn't meant to be read straight through, I did so (well, I listened to the audiobook, but you get the point), and spent my drives home prepping my palate for the next mixed drink I'd try from Stewart's book. This had something for everyone, from the casual tippler to the seasoned bartender to the thirsty librarian. I loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment