Sunday, August 18, 2019

From the Holocaust to Hogan's Heroes

From the Holocaust to Hogan's Heroes by Robert Clary (2001) 214 pages

I grew up watching the TV series Hogan's Heroes and my kids enjoyed watching it on DVD decades later. I sometimes wondered whether those who were harmed by the Germans in WWII found the show to be insensitive or inappropriate. Little did I know that Robert Clary (born Robert Max Widerman), who played Louis Lebeau on Hogan's Heroes, was himself a survivor of German camps, from age 16 to 19. I hadn't known much about him other than his role on Hogan's Heroes, and I enjoyed reading about his life, but was especially struck by his time in Paris when the German occupation started, through the deportation of his family, and his regrouping after the war. Later, I was interested in the descriptions of his years working on Hogan's Heroes, as well in later years when he became active in speaking to groups of children about the Holocaust.

No comments:

Post a Comment