Saturday, October 6, 2012

Harley & Ivy/Paul DIni

Harley & Ivy by Paul Dini, Bruce Timm, Judd Winick, etc.; graphic novel; 136 pages

For all that I like Dini's version of Batman (and the Batman:  The Animated Series episode of this same title!), I was a little bored with this book.  It's basically a portrait of Harley and Ivy's friendship, their failed attempts at supervillain-hood, and their outlook on the world in general.  While I love both characters, and I love the fact that they're besties, I felt like this watered things down a little too much (Harley is the stereotypical blonde who screws up all the capers; Ivy is the smart one who is forced to put up with her dumb partner).  The sole saving grace is the in-jokes that Dini scatters throughout (my favorite is Mark Hammill playing the Joker in a Movie of Harley & Ivy's escapades).  Entertaining, but not something I'll be revisiting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment