Sunday, July 22, 2012

The Looking Glass Wars

The Looking Glass Wars by Frank Beddor, 358 pages

Alice in Wonderland is a whimsical fantasy story about a little girl falling down the rabbit hole into a mixed-up crazy world, right? According to The Looking Glass Wars, it's based on a true story, told to Charles Dodgson (AKA Lewis Carroll) by Alice Liddell.Only Dodgson got it wrong. Alice is actually Alyss Heart, a princess of Wonderland who accidentally falls into our world. Alyss is on the run from her evil Aunt Redd, who has killed Alyss's parents and usurped the throne.

This is certainly an interesting re-imagination of Dodgson's tale. I enjoyed the twists on the classic story, but I was disappointed by the flat writing style. My brother recommended this to me, and told me I have to read the whole series, so I will. But there are so many better YA books out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment