Wednesday, July 11, 2012

The Forgotten Waltz, by Anne Enright


I’m puzzled by the title of this book, as well as by the book itself.  Near Dublin, Gina Moynihan, recently married to Conor, meets Sean Vallely, a married father of one daughter, Evie, and neighbor and friend of Gina’s sister, Fiona.  Nothing happens after this first meeting for a few years, but ultimately they begin an affair that affects everyone around them.   Meanwhile, it is gradually revealed that Evie has health problems and is a worry to both her father and her mother, Aileen.  Chapter titles seem to all be 60’s rock-and-roll songs, which is also puzzling (The Shoop Shoop Song: It’s in his kiss; Will you love me tomorrow, etc.) since the book is set during the recent financial meltdown of the Celtic Tiger, and the rest of the world.  I haven’t read the author’s Man Booker award-winning book, The Gathering, and must admit this new novel, which I guess I put on reserve since it was nominated for the Orange Prize, doesn’t make me want to.  Gina loves Sean, Sean loves Gina but it isn’t his first affair, Aileen is odd, Evie outgrows most of her mysterious fits then grows into a troubled teenager.  So……..?  Sorry, I don’t get it.  Gets great reviews from lots of other more literate folks – or does the Emperor have no clothes?   263 pp.

No comments:

Post a Comment