A Zoom with a View by Jess Cannon, 384 pages
I already had this mystery on my TBR pile, but when I read Jan's review of it, I moved it up to the top. Leo, who has reluctantly returned to her tiny Texas hometown for job that doesn't even come close to using her doctoral degree in English; her batty hairdresser-with-a-secret-life mom Karina; Karina's best friend Kay, who manages to turn the county lockup into a kegger; police consultant (and secret girlfriend to one of the officers investigating the murder) Macy... these are just a few of the fantastic characters that make up the cast of this charming and innately readable cozy mystery. And while there are plenty of over-the-top and unbelievable elements (Chaz and Kymber saying "babe" in every sentence they say to each other, for example), there are also some very real elements to ground the story. The way Leo's best friend Emily reacts to both her mother's arrest and Leo's aloofness, Leo and Karina's difficult relationship... it's a fantastic book, and I can't wait to read the next one in this series. (And yes, the dog is fine.)

No comments:
Post a Comment