Monday, December 5, 2022

Lugosi: The Rise and Fall of Hollywood's Dracula

Lugosi: The Rise and Fall of Hollywood's Dracula by Koren Shadmi (2021) 161 pages

I have previously read Shadmi's graphic biography of Rod Serling, the creator of The Twilight Zone. I'm trying to get through several of these relatively short graphic novels available on Hoopla to complete my reading goal for the year. I was excited to see this graphic biography since I've seen all the old Universal horror films. I must admit, though, that I'm more of a fan of Boris Karloff than Bela Lugosi. Earlier this year I also read a biography of Michael Curtiz, the director of Casablanca and another Hungarian transplant to Hollywood. The structure of this book is classic. We start near the end of Bela's life when he was in a state rehab facility to fight his morphine addiction and flashback several times to tell about key moments in his life and career. The present is in sepia tones and the flashbacks are in black and white. The art work is realistic and energized by light and shadow. It fills in details I wasn't previously aware of, but follows an unsurprising arch with the rise and fall storyline. Solid and enjoyable.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment