Thursday, November 17, 2022

Spellbound: A Graphic Memoir

 Spellbound: A Graphic Memoir by Bishakh Kumar Som, 151 pages.

This graphic memoir follows the year or so after her parents died that the author took off of her job in architecture to write a graphic novel. Or, to be more accurate, it follows the other woman on the cover (who is a construct) experiencing the author's experiences.

This book didn't work very well for me. There were too many layers of abstraction for it to feel like a very honest memoir, and I feel that filtering many of her own experiences as a transgender artist through the lens of her cisgender protagonist ended up flattening them. Also, on a more personal note, I tend to find books about how hard it is to write books a little self-indulgent and tedious, so I don't think I was ever really hooked on this one.  


No comments:

Post a Comment