Saturday, September 3, 2022

What Moves the Dead

What Moves the Dead by T. Kingfisher, 165 pages

Longtime soldier Alex Easton has traveled far to visit their childhood friend Madeline Usher, who wrote a few weeks earlier begging for a deathbed visit from her friend. But when Alex arrived, they found Madeline and her brother Roderick in a much more worrisome state than anticipated — in fact, they both looked on the brink of death and much, much older than their years. Obviously something is wrong, and the presence of creepy, crawling (literally) hares doesn't do much to help settle Alex's mind.

I love T. Kingfisher's writing, and I'll read anything she writes, including this twist on Poe's classic short story, "The Fall of the House of Usher." All of Kingfisher's books have the sort of realistic protagonist that I can really relate to and appreciate (and not just the one that featured a protagonist named Kara). That said, after reading a few books that feature it, I realize that I'm really not a fan of fungus-based horror. It's gross and creepy, yes, but ugh, it's just not my thing. So this book gets a "meh" from me. Not because of the characters or writing (which are fantastic), but because of the fungus, which Poe was apparently obsessed with.

No comments:

Post a Comment