Sunday, September 4, 2022

We Need To Talk: How to Have Conversations That Matter


We Need To Talk: How to Have Conversations That Matter
by Celeste Headlee (2017) 244 pages

Celeste Headlee, a radio host whom I've heard on NPR, and who has also appeared on various television  news programs, shows us to how to improve our conversations with others and why that matters.

Headlee draws one in by her willingness to talk about her own mistakes and what she has learned, which comes down to a few important pointers on how to really listen to others. Part 2 of the book has very concrete, short chapters that each deal with an issue that could make or break an interaction. I could see my own foibles and hope to practice improving my own conversational skills using her tips. One of the takeaways I had was that sometimes we need to suspend our own selves during a conversation, and not be focusing on the next thing we want to say when there is an opening.

I found this book very helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment