Thursday, April 14, 2022

Upstream

 Upstream: Selected Essays by Mary Oliver, 178 pages.

This collection of essays by poet Mary Oliver reflects on the natural world, her place in it, and the process of writing and creativity. The book is broken into five sections (although the final section is a single short essay), loosely sorted thematically. 

I really enjoyed the first couple of section in this book, which read almost like poetry about the natural world. There was also several in the collection that I found fairly boring, or didn't enjoy for assorted other reasons. I tend to have very weird feelings about Mary Oliver, where the things I like I think are completely wonderful, and a lot of the rest doesn't really do anything for me. That being said, there are some very nice essays in here, and the whole volume is short enough that it doesn't take much effort to read it.


No comments:

Post a Comment