Monday, April 6, 2020

Rock Steady: Brilliant Life from My Bipolar Life

Rock Steady: Brilliant Advice from My Bipolar Life by Ellen Forney (2018). 200 pages.

Following her brilliant graphic memoir Marbles, in which she explored the relationship between mental health and creativity, Ellen Forney continues to explore mental health issues in Rock Steady, this time providing a handbook of sorts, detailing concepts and helpful practices that have helped her manage bipolar mood disorder. While Forney uses bipolar as a foundation for the book, most of the advice she gives is practical for anyone wishing to manage their mental health. Rock Steady is full of Forney's signature wit and funny cartoonish style of drawing, making it a joyous read on a big subject.

This was a reread for me. Forney is one of my favorite comics creators, and so I made sure to devour it as soon as it was published. It felt really good to come back to it, and I made sure to take more time with it so I could be sure to take her advice to heart during this difficult time. Her tips and tricks throughout the book have stuck with me over the past couple years (SMEDMERTS forever!), and this refresher will make them even more present in my mind as we navigate these uncertain times.

No comments:

Post a Comment