Sunday, April 14, 2019

Once upon a river

Once upon a river / Diane Setterfield, read by Juliet Stevenson, 464 pgs.

A bit of a mystery, a bit of a miracle.  A young girl and a man wash up during a storm.  The girl is dead but the man may survive.  Rita is an extremely competent nurse who cares for him and then discovers the girl too is alive.  Who is this girl and the man?  He has identification in his pocket but the girl is not his daughter.  Is she Amelia, a daughter of a nearby couple that was kidnapped 2 years ago?  Is she Alice, the daughter of Mr. Armstrong who split with his wife a year ago and whose mother met with a bad end very recently? Or is she someone else?

No matter, we follow the workings of the town while we try to figure out where this little girl belongs.  She is rendered silent by her traumatic situation but she is well liked by all.  Although I've done a poor job of describing this book, I will say that the audio version is so very good, it may move into my favorite spot.  I mean, my favorite of all time.  I savored every minute listening and was sorry when it ended.

No comments:

Post a Comment