Thursday, October 26, 2017

Anything is possible, by Elizabeth Strout



This new novel by Strout is similar in form to her best-selling Olive Kitteridge (which is also an engrossing made-for-TV limited series with Frances McDormand).  It also is connected to her more recent My name is Lucy Barton and reading it enhanced my understanding of the earlier book – I rather wish I’d read them in a different order.  Lucy Barton, like Olive Kitteridge, is a central figure in this new novel, which like Olive Kitteridge, is a series of interconnected stories in which she plays a major or minor role.  Many of the same characters mentioned in the earlier book are fleshed out in the newer one, which gives the reader a more nuanced view of their influence on Lucy Barton’s life.  Recommended – but try reading it before My name is Lucy Barton if you haven’t read it already.  254 pp.

No comments:

Post a Comment