The third in the Detective Sean Duffy series; these audiobooks, wonderfully read by Gerard Doyle, have been my car companions for months now.
In this title:
Sean is recruited by MI5 to track down IRA operative Dermot McCann, a recent escapee from the Maze prison, and a former schoolmate of Sean's. In order to find Dermot, though, Sean must first reconnect with Dermot's family and that of his ex-wife, a woman Sean has history with as well. An especially well-constructed plot and great suspense.
In all Detective Sean Duffy novels:
- checking under the BMW for mercury tilt bombs
- a fabulous supporting cast, including Sergeant Crabben (Crabby), Duffy's dour Presbyterian sidekick, and attractive neighbor Mrs.Campbell, perpetually horny because her husband is either away or depressed
- an encyclopedic display of musical knowledge
- a shocking amount of alcohol consumption, even for Ireland
- hilarious dialogue
- a terrific sense of place