Sunday, April 27, 2014

The Gospel of Loki

The Gospel of Loki by Joanne M. Harris; fantasy, mythology; 320 pages

This book tells the story of the Norse myths from the villain's point of view.  Though to hear him tell it, Loki was only doing what needed to be done, and really things have been blown out of proportion. 

I freely admit I picked this up because I enjoyed Loki in the recent Marvel movies so much.  And while I'd never read Harris previously, Chocolat is one of my favorite movies, so....

Harris' books is a bit of a departure from some of her previous novels, but it works.  It's a fun retelling of some of the more famous Norse myths, in modern language and with a heavy dose of snark from Our Humble Narrator.  That said, while I thoroughly enjoyed this novel, it wasn't a fast read.  The chapters are short and each one is the equivalent of one story, so it's very episodic book  I was happy to pick it back up again each time, but after I finished my lunch, I didn't feel like I needed to rush home and read more to find out what happens (this is a problem when you retell a story that's 2000+ years old).  I did love Loki's voice, and found myself hoping that maybe Ragnarok would turn out differently.  I'd love to read more in this vein--and I find myself kind of missing my Humble Narrator now that the book's over. 

No comments:

Post a Comment