Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Dreams of Gods and Monsters

Dreams of Gods and Monsters by Laini Taylor, 613 pages

Spoilers ahead, but really only if you haven't read the first two.

Jael has marched the Dominion through the portal connecting Eretz and Earth, heading straight for the Vatican City and the Pope. The world whips themselves into a frenzy (angels are real!), especially after he delivers a message: the Beasts are coming.

For Eliza, a scientist working at the Smithsonian's National Museum of Natural History, the arrival of the angels and their message means more than just the world going crazy. It's a confirmation that the nightmare that has haunted her life is real, and that the family and life she ran away from is based in truth.

Meanwhile, Karou and the chimaera have joined Akiva and the rest of the Misbegotten, those illegitimate sons and daughters of the former emperor, Joram in the Kirin caves, where they were supposed to meet all those years ago. Their goal is cobble together a fragile peace between two peoples long at war in an effort to bring Jael and his forces back to Eretz, without human weapons. And maybe, for Karou and Akiva, a chance to finally be together, to see their shared dream of peace made real. But unbeknownst to them, the queen of the Stelians searches for the magus whose power threatens to tear down the sky and bring destruction on them all. And she'll do anything and everything in her power to keep that from happening.

Oh my god, this book. THIS BOOK. I'm sorry (that I'm not sorry) for fangirling, but I loved it. I LOVED it. Like, I hugged the book when I finished it, that's how much I loved it. Even with all these different plots (and even adding in a new one!), Laini Taylor managed to give everything its due, wrapping it all up with nary a loose end in sight. Looking at Good Reads, I see that the ending didn't excite or thrill everyone, but I enjoyed it. It's a bit of a non-ending like Twilight, but at least she gives you the courtesy of making that apparent before getting everyone geared up for a big battle and then not delivering. My only problem is that I want more. And she totally left it open for at least another book or two, maybe another trilogy! I just want her to pull a Cassandra Clare and decide that she has more to tell about these characters and act accordingly. But for now, all I have is my imagination, and I guess that will have to do.

2 comments:

  1. I'm incredibly jealous that you got to this book before me. But I'm glad to hear that it's worth the wait! I've been loving this series, and I can't wait to see how Taylor concludes it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really is the best. You'll have to let me know what you think when you're done!

    ReplyDelete