Wednesday, January 8, 2014

All the Dead Voices

All the Dead Voices by Declan Hughes  311 pp.

Although I've enjoyed mysteries since I was a child, the "Ed Loy, PI" series was new to me. To be honest I only read it because I got the Kindle version for practically nothing.

In Dublin Private Investigator Ed Loy is approached by Anne Fogarty who wants him to find out who killed her father several years before. Her mother's lover was acquitted of the crime and it remained unsolved. Loy is also investigating the murder of soccer star Paul Delaney, who may or may not have been a drug dealer. Loy is attacked and fights off his attackers who are later found dead with Loy framed as the prime suspect. There is also the mystery of who was responsible for the deaths of an innocent family whose car was bombed by mistake twenty years earlier. What follows are multiple deaths and beatings. This book needed a scorecard to keep track of who was who, which side they were on, and were they in the IRA or INLA. When it all was done the murderer of Brian Fogarty was a complete surprise to me. I can see why Hughes has a created a following for his creation but I doubt I will be reading another.

No comments:

Post a Comment