Monday, January 11, 2010

The Dark is Rising

The Dark is Rising by Susan Cooper, 244 pp.
This was a re-read of the title book of Cooper's award winning fantasy series. On his eleventh birthday, Will Stanton learns he is the newest and last of the "Old Ones", magical immortals who must locate the six hidden medallions to aid the powers of the Light before the Dark can rise. But the Dark has sent the Rider, evil cloaked in black on a black stallion to stop will from completing his quest. 

I read this a dozen years ago when my son was reading it. I enjoyed it then and enjoyed it this time as well.--Karen

3 comments:

  1. Hooray for Susan Cooper! I re-read this last year and agree with Karen - just as good as when I was a kid. So much better than J.K. what's-her-name. (In my opinion!) --Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a great book. I couldn't get into the very first one of this series, so this was the only one I read. How are the others?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the only one I've read recently; the others I read when I was a kid. I remember I liked them all at the time...

    ReplyDelete