Wednesday, November 30, 2022

I'm Glad My Mom Died

 I'm Glad My Mom Died by Jennette McCurdy, 320 pages.

Jennette McCurdy, most famous for her acting in Nickelodeon show iCarly and Sam and Cat, really wishes that wasn't the case. This memoir is told in two parts. The first is her unhappy childhood and adolescence in child acting under her extremely controlling and emotionally abusive mother. The second part is her struggles with alcoholism, bulimia, and various other traumas after her mom died.

This book is, unsurprisingly, pretty heavy. More surprisingly, it's often also quite funny. McCurdy has a masterful grasp on perspective, and you can see the perspective voice morph as she gets older, which makes many of the childhood scenes even more disturbing. It also ends in recovery, which is the kind of ending I really appreciate in these types of stories. I'm not often a memoir reader, but this one was definitely worth the time.


No comments:

Post a Comment