Monday, November 7, 2022

Her Body and Other Parties

 Her Body and Other Parties: Stories by Carmen Maria Machado, 248 pages.

As with any short story collection, this one is difficult to summarize, although it does seem thematically more united than many other collections I've read. Most of this collection is about how all kinds of people relate to women's bodies, including the women themselves. The stories are full of violence, sex, and a strange surrealism that makes each subject seem distant from herself.

Even after finishing the collection I'm not sure if I liked it. I think it was probably good. I found the distance in the writing especially strange for a collection that so often dipped it's toes into horror, but it also feels like that may have been intentional to forward it's own themes. This collection is a weird one, and I would be curious to see what more people have to say about it.


No comments:

Post a Comment