Thursday, November 17, 2022

Best American Science and Nature Writing 2020

 Best American Science and Nature Writing 2020 edited by Michio Kaku and Jaime Green, 384 pages

This anthology is exactly what it says on the can, collecting what the editors consider to be the best science and nature writing of the year. Notably the year in question is 2019, and the collected volume came out in 2020 (which is to say the edition all about COVID is actually the 2021). I think the editors did a really great job. In most anthologies I read there are a few stand out stories, a handful of very bad ones, and a lot that are alright. There were only two of the twenty-four presented here that I thought weren't very good, and many that were exceptional. I also feel more informed having read it. The collection covers a wide range of topics that I probably never would have thought to seek out information about on my own, and I feel like I learned a lot by the time it was done. 

The 2021 edition seems a little depressing, but the organization of the 2022 edition (which we recently got in at the library!) seems really interesting, and I'll probably pick it up next time I want some bite-sized reading.


No comments:

Post a Comment